Tuesday, March 18, 2014

One Day in June- Part two

Hey guys! So here is Part 2! For those of you who are wondering Part 2 to what, make sure you check out the first part. Here’s the link and happy reading!





Part 2
September 24, 1996. 08:00 hours.
Ghost Girl, I mean Alice, I mean June! Yes, June walked in. She sat down and said, “Where is the Peak?” I was shocked she was even considering my offer about the music carnival. Steve poked me in my back. That eavesdropping jerk! “It’s a beach downtown. There are ice cream stores there!” She chirpily giggled and asked, “Have you gone there before?” I had, just once and that too with my annoying and bossy brother Matt. “Yes, last year. It seemed like the only thing that ever happened in this ghost town. Other than the ‘Friday night senior’s ball and bingo’ at the community centres of course! Steve never misses those out”, I said as I winked at Steve. She laughed at that; in a more friendly way today. However you could tell she was thinking deeply about something. I decided to make a move. “You wanna go with? I really do not want my brother’s company again this year. I could take you along. He would feel, umm, you know what I mean?” She looked at me puzzled at this before saying, “You are going to make your brother believe that you have a girlfriend to go with you, so he wouldn’t tag along?” “Umhm”, I said coyly. Maybe I had taken things too fast and too far! Damn, she’d never speak to me again. “Ok.”, she said. Okay? Did she really like me now just because I gave her a penny worth of attention? She didn’t seem like that kind though. Say something! She’s waiting! “Okay then. Sounds like a plan. I’ll pick you up at five.” “I, well never mind I’ll talk to you during Japanese”, she said as she got down. Dear Lord, she knew how to kill a person of suspense!

September 24, 1996. 14:00 Hours.
She walked in and placed her books beside mine. Everyone stared at our desk and I pretended I wasn’t embarrassed. Some people even hooted but immediately stopped the moment she turned her eyes to them. Big Red walked in and said, “Good job there June. I was just going assign this noisy bunch a seating plan, according to your last names.” Random sighs and roars escaped; I was still unsure about how I felt about that. While Big Red moved people around, June said, “I have a condition.” Of course she did! What was I thinking when ghost girl said yes? Maybe she wanted me to be her lab rat and extract my brain cells for further examination. I gulped and asked, “What is it?”
“You have to wear a tux.”
“Are you kidding me? A tuxedo to a rock music carnival!? I was kidding about the Friday Night bingo and ball if you seem to have changed your mind.”
“Fine then, find someone else to go with”, she replied arrogantly. The cold eyes were back.
“But why a tuxedo?”
“I can’t tell you.”
“Okay then, I’m not wearing one.”
“Okay then, I’m not going with you.”
She was one arrogant bleep. I tried weighing the odds; wearing an embarrassing stupid tux versus millions of loser notes and a lifetime of humiliation in my graduating year. She had picked the right scapegoat. After a long moment of silence, I muttered, “Okay. I’ll be there in Tux.” I swear to God it was the wickedest smile I’ve ever seen on any face! I tried reassuring myself everything will be okay since no one from school would be there anyway. I would hope not.

September, 24 1996. 15:00 hours.
“Why is your last name Campbell if you are Asian?” she asked. I was still annoyed with her for the deal. Just one evening, I thought, and it will be all over. “That is a very mean thing to ask when asked so directly.” She rolled her eyes and said, “Dagur Campbell, do you by any chance hold and Asian genes in your biological presence? It’s so weird that you remind me of Jackie Chan! Maybe I’m seeing things. Ha-ha.” That sarcasm stung. I admit I look too obviously Japanese and the only genes from my father are my grey eyes, but I still expected decent sentence tones. “My mom is Japanese.” I said. Then asked her, “What are you even doing in that Japanese class?” She scratched her head and said, “I was sick of watching anime with subtitles.” I tried to hold it in but darn was she cute while saying that? We laughed. That night I thought maybe she is a good person after all. Then I tried to for not even for a minute consider we could have anything, and fell asleep listening to 102.7.

The next few days went by, listening to music with June each morning and talking about her half toothed soft toy. And of course, waiting for Friday. I had to sneak out Matt’s graduation tuxedo and make sure I washed it twice to eradicate it of Matt’s odour. I also found a twenty dollar bill in it which I preferred keeping for myself as compensation for his mere existence. I had a restless Thursday night.

Friday September 27, 1996. 14:50 hours.
“What are you going to be wearing?” I asked June at the lockers. Her evil grin was accompanied by a “You will see.” That made me feel more insecure and wonder if this entire thing was one big joke. Maybe she would just show up in her usual black T-shirts and ‘emo kid’ emotions. I knew I couldn’t throw her off at the last minute either. She had threatened me to let the entire school know we were “dating” if I messed things up. By now she knew already that she wasn’t the most desirable partner, and anyone paired with her basically ended up in the kingdom of the social outcasts. I was stuck. We listened to a talk show about Finnish horses on our way home and she smiled all the way. She looked good that way. (That is when you looked beyond her raccoon eyes!)
Friday September 27, 1996. 15:30 hours.
I reached home and immediately dived into the closet. Mom and Dad had already agreed I could go the Carnival alone and take the car. Matt had also mentioned about my freak girlfriend and now my parents insisted on bringing her home once we were done. I had already decided to lie to them about June’s curfew and get this problem over with. I packed my camera so I could click pictures, but more importantly so that I could prove it to Steve that I took “Alice” out. After I hogged onto a sandwich, I put on a white shirt, black vest and black dress pants. Then pulled on the coat from the tuxedo but decided to leave my hair messy and collar unbuttoned. As I stepped out Matt saw me. “Holy crap Dag! A tux? I thought you and Alice were going to the carnival man!” he said almost immediately,
“Her name is June. And yes we are.”
“Liar why don’t you just tell me you have *ahem* plans. Girls love guys in suits. “he said winking at me. If I did try explaining to Matt about how I hadn’t even kissed a girl, he maybe would make more fun of me. So I stuck with his assumption and said, “Here, it’s twenty dollars. Don’t let ‘em old folks know k?” He happily took away his own money from my hand. I didn’t lose anything, but there went my fuel money.

Friday September 27, 1996. 17:00 hours.
I waited outside June’s home since 10 minutes before 5. I examined my hair and wished it was longer. Then at 5 I walked up to her door and knocked. I was awestruck by the lady at the door; long auburn hair, green eyes and a lean figure- very warm and motherly, unlike “Alice”. “You must be Dagur. Oh how punctual! Come in.” she said, forgetting to introduce herself. She then called out to June who emerged from around the corner. I was in for an evening of surprises. June wore a satin, peacock blue short dress with her hair loosely tied in the same cute bow tie. A black leather bracelet was tied around her wrist and below it she wore black sneakers.Pretty pearls adorned her now visible collarbones. She was adorable. I reminded myself that looks could be deceiving and that all of this could have a motive too. Who I inferred as Mrs. Caine, then said “Thank you for accompanying June to the bingo and ball Dagur. “ Aaahh so that’s what this was. “My pleasure” I replied. As June and I walked to the door Mrs. Caine said, “June has always been keen in things so classic. You look like a stunning young man by the way. I won’t keep you long though. Have fun dear.” She told to June as we walked away linking arms.

The moment we turned around her lawn bush she left my hand and started picking pins out of her hair. “Woah Woah what’s that for?” I asked.“Where is the car? I promise to explain, but we need to leave first.” She said. I held the door open for her and she gave me a cold thank you, like she was forced to say it. Then as I got in, her hair was halfway down already and she ruffled them lose. I hit the pedal and asked her, “You basically are sneaking out? I’m helping you do that? Damn it June! I could be blamed if they find out! They might even think we did all this to you know- hook up or whatever!” I could feel her roll her eyes at that, then she said, “I’ll not let them blame you. And we ARE NOT hooking up.” As a novice driver I still couldn’t take my eyes off the road without hitting an imaginary cow, and so I scowled at her while I looked at the road. When I did finally stop at the traffic lights to look at her, she had transformed. Thick black eyeliner, blood red lipstick and a skull and cross bones necklace that matched her bracelet. The innocence had faded somewhere into her red and peaock blue hair streaks. How had she managed to hide that? Maybe the pins. “Seriously?” I smiled and asked. She stuck her tongue out and asked me to get some spirit. I told her I would if I wasn’t wearing my brother’s tux and helping a girl who looked like a hooker sneak out. She punched me on that one. It hurt but I pretended it didn’t.

Friday September 27, 1996. 18:30 hours
While we waited for the performers at the now crowded beach, June outlined my eyes too in thick black cold liquid. She said it made me look hotter. She also did something to my hair but I wasn’t sure what. I decided to not care; not care about how I maybe was actually enjoying her company. The night went as anticipated. June sang to every song until her throat got dry and we would push through the crowd to get water. When we couldn’t get back to the front we stood dipping our legs into the cool ocean waves and I could somewhat hear her voice now over the loud speakers. She might have kept at least a six feet gap between us. However she occasionally twirled me around or laughed with me. And when at the slow songs all couples danced, she sat on the sandy floor cross legged and just stared at what I thought was nothing. She looked as wild as most other girls here, but she gracefully stole my attention. Her hair was damp of sweat and the temporary colour from them was beginning to fade. That’s when I suddenly remembered of the dare  for the first time in the night. As I put my hand in pocket to get out my camera, June laughed and said, “You won’t find it. It’s in the car. I’ll tell Steve. Consider it as a thank you for bringing me here.” At that I wanted to be ashamed of myself. Suddenly felt it necessary to tell her that it wasn’t like what she thought and I was actually having a good time. Good time with her! Even if it just involved me stealing glances at her rosy cheeks and 3 ear piercings. Instead all I could say was, “Thanks. And I’m sorry. And welcome.” So many words? I obviously wasn’t thinking. She smiled, a real one this time and said, “I wish this was every Friday.” At that she stopped cheering and got up. “Where are you going?” I asked. “The curfew. I have to be home by 11.” So we left. We listened to old tunes from the 70’s on the way home and she dressed herself back up to just like before the carnival. If you weren’t looking for it, you wouldn’t know she ever had any makeup on. She obviously had done this before, I thought. Then we waited outside her home at 10:45 and she removed my makeup. She seemed so normal even after everything I did. Was I even wrong? Then once she was done, she looked up and said she will leave. I thought of moving in to kiss her but before that she turned her head. Then dug into her bag and tied her leather bracelet around my wrist. “You will be remembered. Thank you.” She said and stepped out.

Pretty abrupt eh? Don’t worry though because part 3 will be up soon! Yes, once I started the story kept expanding and now I’m in need of another part to it! But I will be at it soon! Have fun till then! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment