Thursday, March 20, 2014

One Day in June- Final Part four

For the whole and final part in the One Day in June series! :) Make sure you check out part 1:
http://peablogsat.blogspot.ca/2014/03/one-day-in-june.html
Part 2:
http://peablogsat.blogspot.ca/2014/03/one-day-in-june-part-two.html
And Part 3:
http://peablogsat.blogspot.ca/2014/03/one-day-in-june-part-three.html



Part 4
November 29, 1996. 15:30 hours.
The entire month had passed by working at Costo. June worked as a mechanic and earned way more than I did. But together we made enough money to make a trip. Today I was finally going to introduce June as my girlfriend to my family. She looked stunning in a pretty little coat and white dress. Her curls were nourished today and her hands cleaned off the grease and black nail paint. However there was something odd; the way my dad examined June was weird. After I left June to her home that night, dad was still awake reading. As I walked past he asked me to stop and said, “What is it with you and that girl son?”I coolly replied, “She’s my girlfriend. What else?” My dad asked me to sit and said, “It has been a small world Dagur. Everyone knows about Lynn Caine and her family lives with her mark over their head. Her father worked with our company for all the years Lynn had been in High school. They then moved to Arizona when people found out about Lynn. And now as we know, she is not here. As if she never existed. And from what I can tell you guys ain’t any normal couple,” I almost felt like should hug him and cry and say everything. But that is not what sons did with dads. So I skipped the weepin ‘n’ huggin and simple told him everything. He sighed and said, “Do you know a university there?” At that I couldn’t help a smile escape my face and hugged my dad and kissed him goodnight. “Being a smarter son, kiddo!” He said as he slept. I loved my family. I loved June too. 


December 14,1996. 17:30 hours.
Dad was going to meet June’s parents today to ask if June could join us for Christmas this year for a family trip to Hawaii. June said she had saved up for it. Truth was it wasn’t a “family” trip to the warm and beautiful Hawaii but just Dad, June and I flying over to Vancouver for Christmas. Her parents agreed a little too soon making me think of how easily they had let go off Lynn too. That night the three of us celebrated with beer and dad said this never happened. The next few days went planning and mapping and finding a good hotel. Once we hit Vancouver we didn’t wanna waste a single minute.


December 24,1996. 14:20 hours. 
June, Dad and I sat in the little café by a snow clad park. We had seen and met Lynn on a sidewalk 4 times and each time she refused to acknowledge June. It was Christmas Eve and June wouldn’t go back without meeting Lynn one last time. June and I examined the broken tile of that table we sat on and thought of how we could hide secret messages in there if we were detectives. At night we returned to our hotel where dad and I shared a bed and June used the couch. June still refused to share a bed with me even with my dad in the room. Fair enough! That night I noticed June slip on her furry coat and snow boots. When I asked her where she was going, she said to Lynn- at 11 pm in the night. She left me no choice but to go along. 


December 24, 1996. 23:00 hours. 
Just like expected, Lynn was covered up in a blanket and sat outside a church in downtown. Right next to the little café we spent the evening in. June had “timbits”, hot chocolate and sandwiches for each of us. She went up to Lynn who was furious this time. “Lynn why don’t you just talk to me! I am your sister” screamed June as Lynn started walking away. Lynn replied, “It’s just coincidence. Go away.” June had started crying and I held her tight. She then fell apart from my arms and said, “Do you think it's just a coincidence that you look exactly as you do? Do you think your height, the color of your eyes, or the sound of your voice was an accident? Do you think your insights into life, your gifts of perception, or your sense of humor were the result of random genetics? No. You are exactly as you now are, with every freckle, trait, and charm, because they all added up to how you could make the biggest difference with your life in time and space. I love you Lynn.” At this Lynn came to June as if she was going to kill her. She caught Lynn by her shoulders and shook her out and said, “It’s not a good world June! Go home. And never trust a guy” she said looking at me. I felt deeply offended at that and hated Lynn, but I decided to save my ego for later. At that Lynn turned away again. Finally June shouted, “April is in an Orphanage somewhere in Canada!” Lynn eyes went lifeless at that. “How? Rachael..” fumbled Lynn. “She left April Lynn. Somewhere in this huge country! Lynn one mistake in your life shouldn’t ruin everything. She is your goddamn daughter Lynn. I’m your sister, she is your aunt! You need to stop running away from us like that!” At that she froze. And slowly spread out her arms for June to hug her. I felt a tear run down my cheek. I loved that feeling. At midnight we sat along Second Beach and ate our food, giving away all our food to Lynn and June and I only had hot chocolate. They talked about everything then. The next day Dad met Lynn and we all chipped in money for Lynn to rent an apartment. We promised we’d come back. I went home for the New Year feeling a little mature already.


January 15, 1997.
The New Year came in with graduation formalities, photos and scholarships. We prepared for exams and tests. Everyone worried of prom and June worried of Lynn. June had been sending her money each month saying her parents were rich enough to save up for their “only daughter’s University”. 


March 21, 1997. 16:37 hours.
June was screaming on the other side of the phone. She had been accepted into UVic for psychology. We celebrated by driving along downtown and eating ice cream by the Peak. Tonight we talked about making it without each other if I didn’t get into UBC. Even with my straight A’s and honours it would be pretty difficult. And then she fell asleep in my lap on the sand. I decide to cuddle her like another homeless and embrace the warm March air. None of our parents asked much about our whereabouts that morning and I was glad. Dad wouldn’t believe me anyway. 


May 16, 1997. 
June and I dressed up for Prom where we spent an ordinary night with the ordinary folks who seemed to hate us. We did not hesitate to display affection for one another. June wore a tiny black- yes I said tiny- prom dress. I tried not being horny, but told her she was looking hot at one point in the night and she said, “That’s why I try not to, pervert.” We skipped the after party and instead had hot chocolate at her home. We were in her silent living room when I finally decided to tell her. I removed the letter from my coat pocket and placed it before her. She immediately knew what it was and at that jumped into my arms laughing in joy. She embraced my UBC acceptance letter like it was gold. She read it over and over until she had memorized each word! She kissed me a few several times too, something I hadn’t expected her to do in that tiny little dress. But each time I even touched her she hit me, Girls are messed up. We spent the night, (by which I mean the time after 3am) on her couch watching Sunday’s at Tiffany’s and falling asleep in our prom costumes. I still slept on the floor and not next to her. 


May 28,1997. 14:00 hours. 
Graduation Day. June looked stunning even in an oversized robe and hat. People made their usual speeches and June and I caught hands throughout until they were sweaty. We clicked our pictures and showed off our diplomas. Most people exchanged contacts and cried. June and I sat with our parents feasting on salads. And then we went home. I couldn’t believe June and I both were graduates and we’d soon move to Canada! At 6pm I called her home and her mom picked up. I could tell she was crying. She asked, “Dagur is that you? Do you know where June is?” I knew exactly where she was. How could I not know she was going to run away? All the nights she spent hinting me. Her parents didn’t know about UVic. She wouldn’t have told them. They would never let her go even close to Lynn. I couldn’t spoil it for her. “No. Is anything wrong?” I answered calmly. In my mind I knew I’d find her. The next few days they tried searching for her but had no recent picture to submit to the police. She had taken them all with her. As for me I said I had none. That summer I moved to UBC and tried going to Lynn’s apartment. She didn’t live there anymore. UVic wouldn’t give me any information about its students. I spent the next few days looking for signs and seeing her face on every person on the street. She might have even been in Iceland being the happiest person on Earth. Did she and Lynn live together? Did she find April? I kept checking orphanages for any signs and left my data in that little cracked tile of our café in the hope that she’d come one day. 


June 3, 2012. 18:00 hours.
Today none of notes remained in the tile. And it was instead replaced with one long letter. I immediately knew I had a visitor. It was from June. She wrote, “Dear Dagur. Your notes helped. Attached you will find a picture of Lynn and Me with now a teenager April. But I’m still looking for something. It’s the courage of facing you. I know you said fear just means you've forgotten how deeply you're loved, how safe you are, and that happiness will return, like you've never known it before. How funny is it that we spoke such deep philosophy without even knowing life? I tried imagining this over and over again. Thinking about you and me together again. And about how mad you could be when we first meet. But I only ended up with beautiful images of me in a nine inch nail concert and you keeping me warn when I pretended to fall asleep in your lap that night! And it was really good. When it comes to effecting change (big or little, but especially big), manifesting the life of your dreams, or getting that perfect parking space, "thinking" is immeasurably more valuable when used to imagine what you want - the end result - than to figure out how you're going to get it. Which is why most people have to schlep through big parking lots. But my point is, when you stop and reflect that thoughts become things, unconditionally, without exception, no matter what, no matter who's, you know it’s someone worth you‘re thinking of. I have found a way I will overcome this fear. Let’s be happiest people on Earth and reunite where we started. Be my “Day” Dagur!” With it was a picture of my now mature June and a CD that read, “This is not a mix.” It wasn’t one, because it held just one song; Do You Remember by Jack Johnson. That’s when one day in June I knew I was up for another adventure; I knew I was going back to the Peak, where we started. And then be hairdressers in Iceland for the rest of our socially weird life. 




Few Words:
At the end of this one, I do really have barely a few words to explain my experience. As a Vancouverite I’ve always been affected by the high homeless rates in this town, the stories of teen issues and increasing counselor help. To me, this story was beyond just an unforgettable high school love. It was a symbol of embracing reality and still moving on. :)




P.S- Do You Remember by Jack Johnson is a jewel of a song and fits just right with the story! :) 
Thankyou, 102.7 The Peak! My favourite radio station where I heard talk shows about long lost twins, Finnish horses and icelandic hairdressers! :) 

3 comments:

  1. No wordsss to explain Pearl!!! :')
    Couldn't stop readinggg...... n doin tariff of dis...nt me atleast!!!!
    I'd wait 4 moree!!!
    Infact letz do a deal....first novel dat I'll read COMPLETLY will b urzz!!!
    :P ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooooo sooo much Janhvi! You have no clue how much this encouraged me.Thankyou for making my day! :) I'll be sure to keep up to your expectations!

      Delete
  2. U sureee will!! ;)
    Keeeeppp it uppp.....

    ReplyDelete